Wednesday 8 June 2011

Edward the Accountantist - why the shame?


Edward Hunter was the first candidate 'fired' in the latest series of The Apprentice. As he left the Boardroom he was advised by Lord Sugar to remember: "There's no shame in being an accountant."

Edward himself made a number of related observations about his profession including:

"I'm the wheeler dealer who accidentally became a financial professional."

"I was trained at one of the biggest accountancy firms; but I don't fit the mould."

"I don't need to show off that I can work out margins; I'm an accountant."

"I'm mildly accountantist (anti accountants)."

"Whenever I'm introduced to anyone and I want to stop the conversation, I just say, 'I'm an accountant'."

All this reminded the Smart Frog of a joke he once heard: How can you spot an extroverted accountant? He's the one who's looking at YOUR feet when he's talking, instead of HIS OWN. In your esteemed author's opinion, that does have a ring of truth about it, so perhaps Edward the Accountantist did have a point.

That said, we can only wonder if the 'biggest accountancy firm' welcomed him back with open arms? We suspect not. Shame.

No comments: